1. Are you familiar with the massive open online course website Lynda.com? Normally there is a fee for this incredible resource, but your library card gives you free access. Lynda was recently acquired by LinkedIn, so now course completion certificates can be posted on your profile.
2. Use our Foundation Center database to find grant and scholarship opportunities. You can also take our Introduction to Foundation Center Resources classes at the Orlando Public Library to make the most of this resource.
3. Let’s face it, finding peaceful places to study can be a challenge in college life, particularly if you’re trying tackle a group project. Study rooms can be reserved for free with your library card.
4. Have you heard about our Blue Bags of Happiness™? You can request books and other library materials be delivered directly to you and, you guessed it, they arrive in a bright blue bag. If you are living that dorm life, be sure to talk to your closest branch about delivery methods.
5. The Orange County Library System offers free Wi-Fi. Unlike some other public places, you don’t have to buy a chai tea latte to stake out your workspace.
6. NewsBank offers access to tens of millions of articles and video clips from state, regional, national and international newspapers and other news sources. You can also find the Orlando Sentinel and El Sentinel there. The database is fully searchable. We also have periodicals available at all of our locations if you prefer the tactile experience of holding the publication in your hands.
7. Connect with live tutors through Brainfuse. You can get help on a variety of subjects and you’ll find them particularly useful when you’re working on those big papers thanks to their writing lab.