As the new school year looms, parents have an important decision to make: what’s the best (and safest) learning environment for their child? Orange County Public Schools has offered three models: face to face, their new LaunchEd virtual program and Orange County Virtual School. There’s always homeschooling as well.
For those parents who are venturing into virtual learning or homeschooling, we’re highlighting several resources that may be of assistance as you navigate this new school year.
Homework Help is a resource guide that has educational information in one convenient place. From recommended reads to database suggestions to subject guides, it has a wealth of information that children can utilize when they have questions, or need a bit of assistance with what they’re learning.
The Homeschool Guide offers information for parents on homeschooling options, including accountability and support, along with curriculum.
The library has several educational databases that provide scholarly information. You just need your library card and PIN number to sign in.
- Brainfuse: Free, live, online tutoring in all subjects. There’s also a writing lab, language lab, flashcard maker, lessons by grade and virtual platform where you can schedule meetups with fellow students.
- Science Online: Make your own science fair projects and experiments, and explore different scientific topics.
- Mango: Learn another language in this conversational format.
- Gale in Context: Perfect for research reports, Gale provides detailed information on a variety of subjects. There are different database components for elementary, middle and high school students.
- Learning Express Library: Practice tests, lessons and e-books for different grade levels, highlighting math and language arts. For older students, there are practice PSAT, SAT and ACT tests.
As always, the library delivers materials to your house! Visit our catalog to find the books or movies you’d like, and click request. If you’d rather not have them sent to your home, let us know and we’ll have them sent to the branch of your choice, for you to pick up instead.
The library has relaunched its Local Wanderer program, where cardholders can request free tickets to local attractions. Perhaps a field trip? Current passes include the Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens, Mennello Museum of American Art and Orange County Regional History Center.